Sunday 1 February 2015

My Sunday Photo: Feeling Foreign at a Party

My eldest son turned eight a week ago and this week we had, amongst other celebrations, his kids' party. Standing in a room with ten Dutch children, nine of which speak better Dutch than I do, left me feeling very non-Dutch. A bit more foreign than normal. I was trying to explain one of the games they were about to play and I just couldn't find the right words to do it properly. It was weird. And feeling suddenly so foreign was a foreign feeling. Not uncomfortable. Just strange. Expat life in a nutshell I guess.


In case you are wondering, the part theme was secret agents and one of the games was a relay race where the children had to dress one of their team members in a 'disguise'. They then decided my husband needed a disguise. So, I introduce to you my Dutchie.


OneDad3Girls

8 comments:

  1. I can relate to that feeling, even if I know the words, I always have a foreign acccent. Pleased to "meet" your husband, he looks like a good sport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool but how many glasses does one person need? Clio lending a helping hand for Coombe Mill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even on the street where we lived in Zoeterwoude, my Deventer born "Dutchie Hubbie" was a foreigner. And the neighbors let us know it! So we know how you sometimes feel. Great disguise of your husband, too. Hope the kids won a prize for that. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a brilliant outfit

    Thank you for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually need to look closer to see where the face really starts =P

    Sounds like a fun event =) #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete